Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Trifecta Perfecta!

Hello World!



Clinging for dear life, I bounced around in a passenger van. . . which was certainly NOT prepared for these types of roads -- or rather lack of road. I couldn't help but stare out at the scenery and think: "This is it! I am Indiana Jones." There was no denying it. I was living the life of the great adventurer I've enjoyed watching so many times on TV. True, I was lacking the fedora and whip, but I was armed with the first of my archaeology degree classes under my belt. We were rapidly approaching Mayan ruins in the jungles of Belize: Lubaantun. It was pretty un-belize-able.

As we clambered out of the van, I was smacked with the realization that all this was NOT as glamorous as it seemed. A layer of sweat immediately covered everyone (without so much as even lifting a pick or dodging a falling boulder). Then the flies descended!  Being food for flies and swimming in your own sweat don't really make the list of things a person thinks about when it comes to Indiana Jones -- or archaeology. Boy, reality hits hard on that first dig.

But the view, oh it was wonderful! The jungle canopy opened to reveal mounds upon mounds of stone rubble and reconstructed ball courts and walls. Thinking back now it still takes my breath away. It was more than just the awe-inspiring monuments that surrounded us on all sides; it was about being a part of history. We were a part of uncovering and paving a path for others to learn from what we had documented on our trip (and the valuable knowledge we gained from archaeologists like Keith Prufer). Now THIS was archaeology.


To be honest, this is how it has been for me since I lifted the veil on the field of archaeology. The journey has never been disappointing -- it has been full of surprises and more complications than you'd initially think (kinda like booby-traps). You learn to take those trade-offs of sitting in the sun, baking, hours on end, the back-breaking work of shoveling or sifting the dirt you shoveled just in case you missed some microscopic nothing (which could actually be something so huge that it could be THE thing to make your site or research unique) in order to find that new site or even just brush some dirt off of an old stone. . . because hey, you probably are the first to see it since the place fell to ruin. And that's when you know you've got the bug.

Soooo, now that I've painted a picture of how I got into this . . . I guess I'd better explain the purpose of my little blog. This blog will focus on some of the moral and ethical questions facing archaeologists and the future of archaeology. Surprise you? What kind of ethical issues could possibly be associated with good ole Indiana Jones? Well I've got some news for you! The ethics associated with archaeology are a lot more complicated than you would imagine. It really seems so straight forward; I mean outside of the "bad guys" and Nazi's trying to steal your artifacts, what other problems could you run into? Through looking at current and past news articles, and even citing some of my own personal experiences, my blog will explore the current hot-button issues of archaeology. I will address issues of: looting, the black market and artifacts, cultural and burial practices versus excavation, targeted attacks of World Heritage sites and use of archaeologically protected sites for military camps, as well as museum displays built from stolen and controversial artifacts (like the Getty Villa).


I guess what started this adventure (into the unknown world of ethical archaeology) was actually this really cool college class I took . . . Last semester I was introduced to the ethics of archaeology for the first time. In a super chill class (where we sat around and drank coffee and discussed ethics and theories that came to us) we used the book by Jason Felch and Ralph Frammolino "Chasing Aphrodite": The Hunt for Looted Antiquities at the World's Richest Museum," as a case study. Their research into the Medici and other black market ties with the Getty Museum became a spring board for us as we were catapulted into a semester long adventure attempting to find controversial archaeological issues. And drinking our coffee and sitting outside on the grass, we would discuss the ethics of how we (as the future of archaeology) thought these situations should be handled, or to applaud the work of those who had made good decisions.


Anyway that's about it for now! I hope you got a good hold of your whip and fedora because this is going to be bumpier than Disneyland's Temple of the Forbidden Eye!





Profiling Some Pro's

Jason Felch and Ralph Frammolino
Headlines scream: Several Museums May Possess Looted Art:. The story follows: "Italian authorities have identified more than 100 allegedly looted antiquities at six leading museums in the United States as well as galleries, private collections and museums in Europe and Asia. . . Although the Getty remains the focus of the Italian criminal prosecution, prosecutors said they could use the Polaroids as leverage in negotiations with other museums for the return of objects or as evidence in possible criminal prosecutions or civil actions."

Sounds like quite the scandal huh?! And if it weren't for a newsflash or a paper. . . we might never have hear it.  This week we are going to take a look at a few of my favorite blogs (from my current blogroll).  I would like to give a shout out to the wonderful blog: http://chasingaphrodite.com/. This blog is written by Jason Felch and Ralph Frammolino who--together--wrote an absolutely fantastic book called "Chasing Aphrodite." Their book is an in-depth-investigative-journalist's perspective on the Getty Museum's scandal regarding looted materials. Excuse me while I geek out about this book (remember I read it last semester for one of my ethics of archaeology classes?): it is totally fascinating to follow the whole process from the looting that occurs at the archaeological sites to the museum cases and everything in between. Believe me I would read it again and again just for enjoyment. It really is that well-written and full of intrigue.

Anyway. . . back to blogging. So both men are investigative journalists with the LA Times and are very highly regarded. Their blog and book is called "Chasing Aphrodite: The Hunt for Looted Antiquities in the World's Museums." What is even cooler about the research done by these reporters is that on the blog they have been doing follow ups to the book.Their blog has more leeway to discuss and include information and articles about sites and struggles with looting in case studies that are not just the Getty Museum. I mean check out the Glyptotek (apparently the Getty isn't the only museum in trouble). There are just so many facts against these museums. . . can you imagine finding those photographs PROVING an artifact looted? It is enough to make an archaeologist foam at the mouth. But really, what they are recording on their blog is goooood stuff (about as good as the looting is bad).

Even though these men are not experts in archaeology or ethics, they have spent so much time pursuing the news stories involved in these cases (like Getty Museum) that they are very familiar with a lot of archaeological/ethical issues! These men have definitely given me a greater level of respect for the time and effort that good journalists will put into their articles and research. I also find it interesting that, even though they have written a book and the case for the Getty has been "closed," they still haven't given up talking about the issue. And that is SOOOO encouraging! Very few people actually understand or are aware of the issues that happen within the field of archaeology (or how that matters to them and why they should even care). . . It takes real genuine interest and publicity to get people's attention sometimes (because when it comes to archaeology people don't really pay a whole lot of attention outside of Indiana Jones). . . just another reason why their blogging is so valuable.
 You'd never even think something was "rotten in the state of Camelot!"

"Chasing Aphrodite" is an academic and professional blog, much like what you would expect from two gentlemen who have dedicated their lives to journalism. The writing is not so full of jargon that it is impossible to follow (as often academics write) and it is not as casual as other blogs which focus more on the humor -- I definitely feel much more of a logical kind of approach here.  For example"
"The statue representing the elephantine Hindu deity, worshipped even today as the Remover of Obstacles and Lord of Beginnings, arrived at the Berlin museum in December 2004 and was given prominent display at the musuem’s entrance. It was described as being on loan from “an American private collection,” but in fact it had come from Latchford."
Overall, I think it is a very captivating and informative blog. They do an excellent job linking to other blogs and to more information regarding their posts. I find links to be especially helpful when it comes to fact checking (and as a visual-person who likes to click and look at pretty pictures and new sites).

I know, I know, I know I sound like I am fan-girling here over their blog and work. . . and that probably is surprising considering how critical I've been of things in past posts. . . but hey, I've gotta be honest. I respect these guys a whole bunch for their efforts and for sticking their necks out there knowing that by challenging big institutions and crime scenes they would be taking a major risk (Do you know how much big money is behind both organizations???). 



Thank you guys, I take my hat off to you. . . and hope maybe someday to go out there and catch those baddies myself ;)

Can You Hear My Voice?

Hello Hello Hello! It's been a while.  Today I am going to take some time in my blog to think about *drum-roll please* blogging voice.  What exactly is a blogger's voice? It is how we/they/bloggers talk, how they express their topics of interest, it can even get down to the nitty-gritty of punctuation. Can you hear him? What kind of person do you think he is?
"More to the point, on the basis of over thirty years of my own contact with and studying of the problems surrounding the issues of artefact hunting ("metal detecting")  and the antiquities trade (which I wager is a good deal more than Ms Hume MacIntyre would claim for herself), I would question whether this fresh (2012) graduate has the faintest idea of the sort of opposition she will meet in the "metal detecting" community to notions that they will need training as archaeologists in order to practice their hobby. In the circumstances the suggestion seems rather a naive one."
Did you guess British archaeologist? If so you hit the nail on the head. I guess this has gotten me thinking a bit about my blog. . . What is my voice, my style, and my topic? And if that isn't enough to think about. . . how exactly can I develop my own voice to reach the audience I want to reach, but still be me? I think I am having a bit of a blogging identity crisis. . . is there anyone else like me who blogs? What about other ethics of archaeology bloggers?  How do they talk? Are they like me? Or are they so professional that no one but other scientists find them accessible? Let's take this blog here by a Mr. Paul Barford. I did some poking around through some of his older posts and came across some excellent examples of what I'd personally like to aim for with my blog.  Mr. Paul Barford has an excellent way of combining both expertise in the area of archaeology with the right amount of sarcasm and quick wit.

What is super cool about the way Paul Barford writes his blog is that he doesn't lose his voice.  Now how can you tell this chap is Brittesh, eh?  Well, for starters he likes to use a lot of extra 'e's in his words like "artefact" (what I and other US archaeologists refer to as an artifact) and "programme."


He quips about comparing hunting for artifacts to actual archaeology. . . because artifact hunting is what treasure hunters do, people who don't have respect for the actual history of an artifact:
Who is telling them that artefact hunting is amateur archaeology? Is big game shooting (or pheasant shooting) amateur ecology? Is collecting costume 'Barbie' dolls amateur ethnology? More to the point when (if at all) should we consider artefact hunting and collecting amateur archaeology, and when can it not be?
His quick wit keeps his readers on their toes, mental jousting gear at the ready. Intellectually I find it easy to respect him (maybe it is just the fact that I'm not so used to British English--it sounds super fancy compared to the way I talk with my California slang). I especially enjoy his hyperboles and sarcasm. He even goes as far to call Maxwell a pig and then goes on about how pigs don't "talk, drive, or use cell phones." This guy is a riot! Even his sarcasm seems to be founded on a respectable amount of field knowledge.  He comes off as more of an expert with a sense of humor and attitude -- a real zealot, passionate about what he works on. 

Archae Paleo Barbie!
It's fun to hear things that you'd really only hear someone who is British use to describe the gross exaggeration of "metal detectorists" (also what the heck is a detectorists? not a term I've ever heard a US archaeologist use ever. I actually had to look it up a bit to understand what he was talking about even though I could figure it out a bit based off of context) and "pheasant shootings." Paul Barford has quite a knack for connecting high level archaeology to a less educated audience through his humor. He asks simple questions -- not dripping with sarcasm but lightly touched with a sharper edge to the simple words (I just can't help but chuckle thinking that bird hunters are ecologists and kids collecting Barbie dolls are entomologists).

In his "what is archaeology?" we've got some references to cultural phenomenons: BBC, "archaeology is rubbish," detectorists, programme, and artefacts.  Those are pretty British if I do say so myself (and I watch BBC so I know British). Even his "wot no webpage" rings of British-ness. It's not whut or what or wat, but wot, like with a British accent. . . talk about voice.  But then again if he is just using his normal language, his own accent, what does that really mean to me?  It's not like I can suddenly take on some British alter-ego in my blogging. . . I mean I could but how convincing would that be? And to what end?

Now that I think about it, I guess I don't have to try quite so hard to have the voice that I think I need to have to blog. . . Maybe, what I really need is to just give myself a chance to experiment and let the passionate adventurous archaeologist take over. After-all Paul really is just being who he describes in his profile:
British archaeologist living and working in Warsaw Poland. Since the early 1990s a primary interest has been research on artefact hunting and collecting and the market in portable antiquities in the international context.
Moral of the story: time to flesh out my profile and not just go with what I know but also enjoy the writing adventure ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment